Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern is proud to present the 13th Annual Second Empire 5K Classic – one of the fastest 5K courses in the Triangle area.
The race will benefit the Trinity Academy of Raleigh which works to equip students to live with wisdom, excellence, and purpose in the modern world.
Race Day Schedule
- Noon – Registration and Packet Pickup begins
- 2:00 pm – 5K Start
- 2:55 pm – 1-Mile Fun Run
- 3:15 pm – 100 Yard Kids’ Dash
- 3:30 pm – Awards Ceremony
- Location: 330 Hillsborough Street in downtown Raleigh
- Start/finish in front of Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern
Second Empire 5K Classic
- Course is 5000 meters and is USAT&F-certified
- Runners will start in front of Second Empire Restaurant and head west on Hillsborough St.
- Right on Oberlin Rd.
- Left on Clark Ave.
- Left on Horne St.
- Left on Hillsborough St. to finish line.
- Splits will be called at the one-mile, half-way and two-mile marks
- Course Map – Coming Soon!
- Course records: Abdul Alzindani (14:32) and Jemissa Hess (16:36)
1-Mile Fun Run
- The run takes place immediately following the 5K Classic (approximately 2:55 p.m.)
- Runners head west on Hillsborough Street to the entrance of St. Mary’s
School and then return back to the finish
Because this is a fun run, no official times are given and there are no awards. Runners will have a digital clock at the finish to get their times.
- This 100-yard run is for 6-year-olds and younger, and takes place immediately following the 1-Mile Fun Run (approximately 3:15 p.m.)
- Each finisher will receive a medal
5K (includes long sleeve Technical shirt)
- $25 through March 17th
- $15 through March 17th – for runners 12 years old and younger
- $30 March 18th through race day (March 24th)
- $20 March 18th through race day for runners 12 years old and younger
- Note: Technical shirts guaranteed with registrations made on or before March 14th.
1-Mile Fun Run $20 (includes technical shirt with registrations made on or before March 14th). $10 for runners 12 years old and younger.
Kid’s Dash – free (technical shirt made be purchased for $10 with registrations made before March 14th).
- Saturday, March 23rd from 3pm until 5pm at Capital RunWalk in Cameron Village, Raleigh.
- Gift certificates to Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern in the amount of $100, $75, and $50 to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place male and female finishers
Special custom-made glassware awards will also be presented:
- First three master finishers of each sex
- First three finishers in each of the following age groups: (both sexes)
12-under, 13-19, 20-24,25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, and 75 and over
- No bicycles, rollers skates, or in-line skates
- No headphones or running with dogs
- Race results will be posted at the race beginning at 2:45 p.m. on race day
- All performances will count toward state records and national rankings
- All 5K finishers will automatically be entered into the Second Empire Grand Prix Series.
- For more information, please call Jim Young at 919-873-1207
We are always grateful to have such generous sponsors for the Second Empire 5k Classic.
Powell Frame Shop
Trinity Academy of Raleigh
The race will benefit the Trinity Academy of Raleigh.
Trinity Academy offers a unique educational experience for families in the Triangle Area because, in partnership with parents, we combine exceptional academic, fine arts and athletic programs with authentic Christianity. Trinity Academy is not just College Preparatory. Trinity is “Life Preparatory.” Our program is based upon the classical Liberal Arts and Sciences, which impart the knowledge, skills and virtues necessary to succeed in all of life. Our core curriculum emphasizes the development of critical thinking, writing and public speaking skills, and focuses upon the interrelationship of history, literature, natural science, mathematics, classical and modern foreign languages (K-12), fine arts, religious studies, the linguistic arts of grammar, logic and rhetoric, and physical education.Trinity Academy of Raleigh equips students to live with wisdom, excellence, and purpose in the modern world by offering an education grounded in the Christian faith and the classical tradition. 100% of Trinity graduates have been accepted to more than 100 colleges and universities. In addition Trinity graduates have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in merit scholarships. Come experience the Trinity difference.
Second Empire Grand Prix Series
The Second Empire 5K Classic is the 5th race in the Second Empire Series.
Born from the Second Empire 5K Classic, the Grand-Prix is the inspiration of Raleigh entrepreneurs Kim Reynolds and husband Rod Garnas, along with Inside-Out Sports owner Cid Cardoso, Jr.
In its eleventh year, the Grand-Prix provides a fun way for competitive and non-competitive runners to give back to the community. Individual races pool a small portion of their operational funds along with Grand-Prix sponsors to cover series expenses.
The combined effort has provided races with increased visibility and attendance while decreasing operational costs. This savings can directly translate to larger proceeds going to the benefiting charities.
See more details on the Second Empire 2012 Grand Prix Series webpage.
Triangle Wellness Challenge
We are proud to be part of the Triangle Wellness Challenge this year, a new initiative for promoting healthy living across the triangle.
MAKING OUR REGION THE FITTEST IN AMERICA.
Our goal is to promote wellness incentive programs and a corporate team competition for Triangle area employers who wish to encourage employee fitness through walking and running.
Start a fitness team at work or with a group to train for any or all of the races in the Second Empire Grand Prix Series. Earn points individually and for your group’s team. Individual and Team winners will be recognized at the end of the season.
Get fit while having fun with friends and co-workers.
Team registration is free and anyone who wants to form a team can register. Please note, Teams should register for the Challenge in advance of registering for the Second Empire Grand Prix races.