Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern is proud to present the 14th Annual Second Empire 5K Classic – one of the fastest 5K courses in the Triangle area.
The race will benefit the Trinity Academy of Raleigh which works to equip students to live with wisdom, excellence, and purpose in the modern world.
New Location: Trinity Academy of Raleigh (map)
Want to help out? Volunteer to help!
Race Day Schedule
- 7:00 am – Registration
- 9:00 am – 5K Start
- 9:55 am – 1-Mile Fun Run
- 10:15 am – 100 Yard Kids’ Dash
- 10:30 am – Awards Ceremony
- Trinity Academy of Raleigh
- 10224 Baileywick Road, Raleigh, NC 27613 (map)
Second Empire 5K Classic
- Course is 5000 meters and is USAT&F certified
- Is an out and back course
- Runners will start on the campus of Trinity Academy and leave the campus by turning left onto Baileywick Road
- Right on Wildwood Links
- Left on Hawtree Drive
- Left on Gleneagles Drive to the turn around and back to Trinity Academy
- Splits will be called at the one-mile, half way and two-mile marks
- Old course records held by Abdul Alzindani (14:32) and Jemissa Hess (16:36)
- New course records to be made on March 8th!
1-Mile Fun Run
- The run takes place immediately following the 5K Classic (approximately 9:55 am)
- Will take place on the Trinity track and campus
Because this is a fun run, no official times are given and there are no awards. Runners will have a digital clock at the finish to get their times.
- This 100-yard run is for 6-year-olds and younger, and takes place immediately following the 1-Mile Fun Run (approximately 10:15 a.m.)
- Each finisher will receive a medal
5K (includes shirt)
- $25 through February 23rd
- $15 through February 23rd – for runners 12 years old and younger
- $30 through race day (March 8th)
- $30 through race day for runners 12 years old and younger
- Note: Shirts guaranteed with registrations made on or before February 23rd.
1-Mile Fun Run
- $15 – includes shirt with registrations made on or before February 23rd
- Free – shirt made be purchased for $10 with registrations made before February 23rd
Pre-registered runners can pick up packets at the following locations and times. Late entrants can also register during these times:
- 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm Thursday, March 6th – Capital Run Walk in Cameron Village in Raleigh
- Noon to 5:00 pm Friday, March 7th – Trinity Academy of Raleigh, 10224 Baileywick Road, Raleigh.
- PLEASE NOTE: carpool for the school is typically from 2:20pm to 3pm and is very busy with a lot of traffic. Unless you are a parent in the carpool, we would recommend picking up your packet before or after carpool to avoid being frustrated!
- 7:00 am Saturday March 8th – At the Race!
- Gift certificates to Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern in the amount of $100, $75, and $50 to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place male and female finishers
Special custom-made glassware awards will also be presented:
- First three master finishers of each sex
- First three finishers in each of the following age groups: (both sexes)
12-under, 13-19, 20-24,25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, and 75 and over
- No bicycles, rollers skates, or in-line skates
- No headphones or running with dogs
- Race results will be posted at the race beginning at 9:45 am on race day
- All performances will count toward state records and national rankings
- All 5K finishers will automatically be entered into the Second Empire Grand Prix Series.
- For more information, please call Jim Young at 919-873-1207
We are always grateful to have such generous sponsors for the Second Empire 5k Classic.
Powell Frame Shop
Trinity Academy of Raleigh
The race will benefit the Trinity Academy of Raleigh.
Trinity Academy offers a unique educational experience for families in the Triangle Area because, in partnership with parents, we combine exceptional academic, fine arts and athletic programs with authentic Christianity. Trinity Academy is not just College Preparatory. Trinity is “Life Preparatory.” Our program is based upon the classical Liberal Arts and Sciences, which impart the knowledge, skills and virtues necessary to succeed in all of life. Our core curriculum emphasizes the development of critical thinking, writing and public speaking skills, and focuses upon the interrelationship of history, literature, natural science, mathematics, classical and modern foreign languages (K-12), fine arts, religious studies, the linguistic arts of grammar, logic and rhetoric, and physical education.Trinity Academy of Raleigh equips students to live with wisdom, excellence, and purpose in the modern world by offering an education grounded in the Christian faith and the classical tradition. 100% of Trinity graduates have been accepted to more than 100 colleges and universities. In addition Trinity graduates have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in merit scholarships. Come experience the Trinity difference.
Second Empire Grand Prix Series
The Second Empire 5K Classic is the 4th race in the Second Empire Series.
Born from the Second Empire 5K Classic, the Grand-Prix is the inspiration of Raleigh entrepreneurs Kim Reynolds and husband Rod Garnas, along with Inside-Out Sports owner Cid Cardoso, Jr.
In its twelfth year, the Grand-Prix provides a fun way for competitive and non-competitive runners to give back to the community. Individual races pool a small portion of their operational funds along with Grand-Prix sponsors to cover series expenses.
The combined effort has provided races with increased visibility and attendance while decreasing operational costs. This savings can directly translate to larger proceeds going to the benefiting charities.
See more details on the Second Empire 2012 Grand Prix Series webpage.
Triangle Wellness Challenge
We are proud to be part of the Triangle Wellness Challenge this year, a new initiative for promoting healthy living across the triangle.
MAKING OUR REGION THE FITTEST IN AMERICA.
Our goal is to promote wellness incentive programs and a corporate team competition for Triangle area employers who wish to encourage employee fitness through walking and running.
Start a fitness team at work or with a group to train for any or all of the races in the Second Empire Grand Prix Series. Earn points individually and for your group’s team. Individual and Team winners will be recognized at the end of the season.
Get fit while having fun with friends and co-workers.
Team registration is free and anyone who wants to form a team can register. Please note, Teams should register for the Challenge in advance of registering for the Second Empire Grand Prix races.
Second Empire 5K Classic is now also part of the 27th annual Eastern Carolina Corporate Road Race Series. For more information on the Series, contact Jim Wrenn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Care by Camp Trinity
Camp Trinity is proud to be a sponsor of the Second Empire 5K Classic. As a piece of our sponsorship, Camp Trinity will be providing childcare and family camp activities for race participants at no cost to the runners. Your kids can have a great camp experience with low ropes challenge courses, fishing, canoeing, archery, and camp games, while you run in the 5K. The camp childcare portion will be open from 8:00AM – 10:00AM. Following the race and the kids dash, some camp activities will be open for the whole family to participate (guardian must be present with child after 10:00AM. Register online and we look forward to a fun morning! (Camp is open for children Kindergarten – 6th Grade).